Breast Cancer Awareness Month
NDL Group gets involved in the fight against breast cancer and ways you can help a cancer patient.
October is recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness month. Many of us have been personally affected or know someone who’s life has been drastically altered by this insidious disease. “In 2019, an estimated 268,600 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed among women and approximately 2,670 cases will be diagnosed in men.” That is right, breast cancer does not only effect women, men get breast cancer too. “Breast cancer in men is rare, accounting for less than 1% of breast cancer cases in the US. However, since 1975, the incidence rate has increased slightly, from 1.0 case per 100,000 men during 1975-1979 to 1.2 cases per 100,000 men during 2012-2016.” *
There are many ways to support those in our lives and communities who are fighting for their lives right now. NDL Group has a personal investment in this fight with our Founder and President, Nathan Schweigart, having lost his mother in law to breast cancer in 2011.
It is safe to say that we feel a range of emotions when someone we know is diagnosed with breast cancer. The feeling can range from shock, horror, depression, fear amongst others. You may feel helpless and ask yourself, what can I do? How can I help? Here are some ways you can help someone who is in the biggest fight of their life, for their life:
- Notes and calls
- Send brief, frequent notes or texts, or make short, regular calls. Include photos, kids’ drawings, silly cards, and cartoons.
- Ask questions.
- End a phone call or note with “I’ll be in touch soon” and then follow through.
- Return their message right away.
- Check in with their daily caregiver to see what help is needed.
- Always call before you visit, make sure they can see you. Be understanding if they can’t.
- Be understanding if the family asks you to leave.
- Always refer to the next visit so your friend can look forward to it.
- Offer to take a short walk with your friend if they are up for it.
- Gear the conversation to your friend’s attention span so they don’t feel overwhelmed.
- Help your friend focus on things that brings out good feelings such as sports, religion or pets.
- Be sure to include your friend when talking to others in the room.
- Errands and Projects
- Take care of urgent errands your friend or their caregiver needs right away.
- Look for ways to help on a regular basis.
- Plan projects in advance and start them only after discussing with a caregiver.
- Soft or silly socks
- Fun hats or scarves
- Bright, soft washcloths, towels, or sheets
- Silk or satin pillowcases
- Pajamas or a robe
You can find this list by visiting The American Cancer Society’s website at www.cancer.org . There you will also find many other resources that will aid you with your questions about cancer.
NDL Group, a commercial general contractor in Las Vegas, is a proud supporter of the American Cancer Society, as their resources and programs were essential in his mother in law living out her last days with dignity and respect. She utilized many of their programs but relied heavily on their Road to Recovery program. This program ensures patients have rides to and from treatment. The volunteers that drove her not only filled the void for a ride, they filled the void for a friend. A person in her life who she felt she could talk to, who understood what she was going through. When someone is fighting cancer, they often feel like a burden to their family and friends. Through this amazing program provided by ACS, she did not have to experience any of this. She could lean on her family when needed but also had another outlet to share her life.
Currently the American Cancer Society is running their Real Men Wear Pink Campaign and Nathan is proud to be a candidate for a second year. He was honored to be recognized with the Rookie of the Year his first time around. This campaign asks executive men in our community to use their network and influence to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer research and support.
Making Strides is another highlight event of the month. This year being held on October 17th at Red Rock Casino and Resort. This year the event will be a drive thru and we are sure we’ll have a crowd supporters, survivors and volunteers all sporting their best pink attire.
The American Cancer Society aims to “save live, celebrate lives and lead the fight for a world without cancer.” Can you help them in their fight? Everyone should be able to spend more time with the people they love. Together we can save lives.